Pamela Wilson (GOPI)
A certified Sivananda Yoga teacher, she trained at the Sivananda Yoga Ashram, Val Morin, Quebec, in 1988, with Swami Vishnudevananda, author of, “The Complete Illustrated Book of Yoga,” and, “The Sivananda Companion to Yoga, ” and founder of the International Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Organization. He gave her the Spiritual name Gopi. www.sivananda.org
Pamela has taught in yoga centers and ashrams, spas, churches, health clubs, schools, a Veterans’ Center, and in her home studio. Increasingly focused on the therapeutic aspects of Yoga, she has completed training for certification in the following specialized Yoga Therapies:
· Ayurvedic Yoga Therapy (2015), an 11-day ashram-based residential training with Dr. Marc Halpern, a chiropractor and Clinical Ayurvedic Specialist, Founder and President of the California College of Ayurveda, and author of the New York Times best-selling book, “Healing Your Life Lessons on the Path of Ayurveda.” www.ayurvedacollege.com
· Yoga Nidra for Self-Healing (2014), a five-day ashram-based residential training with Dr. Marc Halpern.
· Yoga for Grief Relief (2012), a week-long ashram-based residential training with Antonio Saucys, a somatic health practitioner and Yoga teacher who has developed a somatic psychotherapeutic process to address the physical, mental and spiritual symptoms of grief towards a re-identification of the Self after an important loss. He is the author of, “Yoga for Grief Relief: Simple Practices for Transforming Your Grieving Mind and Body,” including breathing exercises, body movements, cleansing techniques, relaxation, mental reprogramming, and meditation. www.yogaforgriefrelief.com · Yoga of Recovery Counselors Certification: Helping to Heal Addictions (2011), a 10-day ashram-based residential program conducted by Durga Leela, founder of the Yoga of Recovery and Clinical Ayurveda and Pancha Karma Specialist. The Yoga of Recovery integrates the wisdom of Yoga and Ayurveda with the tools of 12-Step Recovery. www.yogaofrecovery.com · Life Force Yoga: Yoga for Anxiety and Depression (2010), a 10-day ashram-based residential training with Amy Weintraub, founder of LifeForce Yoga Healing Institute and author of, “Yoga for Depression,” and, “Yoga Skills for Therapists.” Amy is involved in on-going research into the effects of Yoga on mood and has produced award-winning evidence-based Yoga and Meditation CDs and DVDs. www.yogafordepression.com · Yoga of the Heart: Adapting Yoga for Heart Disease, Cancer and Other Serious Illnesses (2009), a 10-day ashram-based residential training with Nischala Joy Devi. A former Swami and highly experienced Yoga teacher, Nischala was originally trained in Western medicine. She began to blend Western medicine with Yoga and developed the Yoga portion of the Dean Ornish program for Reversing Heart Disease and co-founded the award-winning Commonweal Cancer Help Program. She is the author of, “The Healing Path of Yoga,” and her Abundant Well-Being Audio Series expresses these teachings. Dedicated to bringing the Feminine back into Spirituality and the Scriptures, she authored “The Secret Power of Yoga,” a woman’s guide to the heart and spirit of Yoga. www.abundantwellbeing.com
· In addition, Pamela has undertaken five-day, ashram-based residential trainings in Structural Yoga Therapy (2009) and Ayurvedic Yoga Therapy (2011) with Mukunda Stiles. A highly influential teacher who is now deceased, Mukunda was a pioneer in the field of Yoga Therapy, author of, “Structural Yoga Therapy: Adapting Yoga to the Individual,” and Director of the Yoga Therapy Center. He is the author of, “Ayurvedic Yoga Therapy,” and produced a well-received translation of, “The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali.”
· Restorative Yoga (2014) a five-day Yoga Center-based training with Judith Lasater, author of, “Relax and Renew: Restful Yoga for Stressful Times,” “Living Your Yoga: Finding the Spiritual in Everyday Life,” and six other books. Judith is one of the founders of “Yoga Journal” magazine and President of the California Teachers Association. www.judithhansonlasater.com · Aqua Kriya Yoga A residential training with Camella Nair, Swami Nibhrlananda. A pioneer and leader in Aqua Yoga, which takes poses off he mat and into the water. The practice is accessible to populations who have mobility issues, as well as those who appreciate the healing sense of the water. The supportive environment of the pool provides easier access to muscles and joints and allows for a deepening sense of mind-body-spirit connection. www.aquakriyayoga.com
Pamela continues to study with Sivananda and other teachers.
Prior to the pandemic, she was sure to spend time at a Sivananda Ashram every year.
She conducts Workshops and both individual and group sessions in Hatha Yoga, the various Yoga Therapies, and Meditation. She designs programs for individuals and also mentors Self-Created Guided Visualizations.
She welcomes people at all points in yoga and in life.